Sunday, September 27, 2009

Process sketches continued


First up is a "three-quarter" view of the palace layout, situated on its cliff with the road leading down to the harbor. I also did a revised design for emperor Taurun, taking the suggestion of emphasizing the bird theme and designing a mask for him based off a large bird skull.


Next, some uniform design for the royal guards (and scribbly notes that may or may not be too messy to read). Royal guards are not the same as military soldiers, in fact, Taurun hand-picks sons of families in his kingdom who are affected less by the war, in order to promote loyalty and a friendly, warm environment for the home of his family.


Next up on the "places of interest" list is a brothel in the neighboring country of Mocor (under imperical control) called Adyti (latin root sanctuary). This is a preliminary sketch of Akale, the owner and maternal matron of Adyti, and foster mother to one of the focal characters in the story. Like with the last design, there will probably be some revision made before I finalize her looks and accessories.


Lastly is a rough sketch of the same kind of "three quarter" view of Adyti itself, which is on a hill surrounded by cliffs and trees, and a very basic floorplan illustrating the layout of the building.

I'm so long-winded, I'm sorry! I'm also sorry for this post coming in late. Time to go and give commentary!

2 comments:

  1. The floor plan looks nice. I look forward to checking it out as it progresses! Make Akale more, Madame of the brothels, because right now she seems like just a scantily clad poor girl. I don't really get a feeling of her "profession." Love the boots on the guards. They look great. The bird mask is really nice. I think it will be stunning when it is fully rendered out. I would be conscious of the colors and try to tie the mask's colors in this those of the royal guard. Something to unite the two together. He does look intimidating. Kind of like my uncle a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as proccess sketches i really feel like a lot of these are right on track. Some of the drawings seem a little cramped on the page or that the drawings are decided or influenced based on the restrictions of the page. Maybe using larger paper or keeping to one character to a page will help keep them from being confined or decided by the terms of the page or paper (possibly the drawings around it as well)

    they look really good and i would like to just see lots and lots! of sketches and ideas so we can really tell where you are going and that youve thought everything out in their clothing and construction.

    ReplyDelete