Hi ladies! Here is my dummy completed and ready to print. I'm planning on working with Joyce, the lady who is taking over for Rebecca when she goes on maternity leave. I'm hoping that since she is a graphic designer, she will be able to give me some good pointers on text and layout. But please crit me on all of it! Illustrations and layout, everything! Every critique is helpful!















Duuuuude, way more polished. i think they all look way better and the compositions are rockin. im ready to see you roll on out with these! they are really consistent and im sure with your style and with the revised pages they will turn out wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Taylor!
ReplyDeleteThis looks totally amazing! I'm really enchanted by your fish drawings, they're really spectacular, gorgeous, natural, and engaging. I think that at ties your people are still a little stiff, especially with pages that need to get a lot of mileage out of expression, face, and gesture, like the one where Vainamoinen's beard is on fire. A close-up face like that needs a LOT of love and attention - people love faces and they want to see very specific details for them. I would consider either going back into the face and really getting into the detail of his expression and gesture, OR, something that could be equally effective and expressive - cut most of his face (aside from the nose and mouth) out of the composition entirely, and make it all about the beard. A landscape of hairy fire! That could be really really sweet.
ReplyDeleteOne comment on hands...you have some really brilliant moments, like that drawing of the hands weaving the net, those hands are beautiful. Try to get all your hands to that level of realism and poetry, if you can.
One last thing (I promise!) - on that page with the net-weaving again, and then the net being cast into the water...the composition of that second page is really, REALLY similar to the composition of the next two-page spread...maybe consider that first page being above-water instead of underwater, so that you take the viewer on the journey with the net down below, and the spread following "casting" the net plunges us below the surface on the next page?
Overall...wow. Just wow. So superbly impressive. You're seriously putting me to shame, which is a good thing, since that means I might kick my own ass pretty soon. Beautiful drawings, and so well put together!
Thanks Nechama! That crit is really helpful! I think you will be awesome too!!! I'm glad you like them! :D
ReplyDelete